40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
Each year, as spring begins to bloom here in the Ohio Valley, we receive a visit from a group of our special friends. What began 17 years ago with just a handful of brothers, now has grown to a small army of workers ready and willing the moment they arrive in Jeffersonville.
They came from seven states, and as far away 850 miles to do their part for Him. It’s a weekend that begins Thursday night for many of the brothers, who leave right after work to make the all-night trek, showing up just in time for two days of whatever the jobs call for. It’s a weekend devoted to making the grounds at VGR and Still Waters look just right. This was their schedule.
Friday began with a welcome and a first-class breakfast prepared by a few of the local families in the VGR cafeteria. Then it was straight out to Still Waters where the crews got right to it. What were some of the jobs that awaited these faithful brothers?
- Mulching around structures, berms, different parts of the property
- Laying slate rock, weighing upwards of 50 lbs. per piece, around spillways by hand
- Chainsawing dead trees and picking up an endless supply of downed limbs
- Grinding dead stumps and grass seeding bare areas
- Bringing in tons (literally) of top soil
- Leaf removal around the lake
- Cleaning gutters
On Saturday morning the crew gathered at the VGR building, where the morning started at 7am with a very special hour- Quiet Time with the Lord Jesus. At the conclusion of QT, everyone convened in the VGR cafeteria for a quick breakfast and then it was out the door to tackle the VGR property.
- Pressure washing back dock and front canopy around the entrance
- Using a scissor lift to clean high spots around the building
- Surface cleaning behind the building
- More of that slate rock around the front pond
- Hundreds of sticks, limbs, and debris removal
- Tons and tons of gravel and mulch to be placed around the property
By the end of the weekend, their bodies were tired and their muscles ached, just in time to make the 10 or more hours drive back home. But every face wears a smile, and every heart willing to do whatever they can for God’s Great machine. Why would these brothers make such an effort to volunteer their time? Love. Love for the Lord Jesus, His Word, and love for you - His Bride.